Lever’s Adelaide exit about money: Walker

, , ,

Adelaide skipper Taylor Walker says Jake Lever chose money over AFL success when he asked for a trade to Melbourne.

Lever, who has been offered a lucrative four-year deal by the Demons, informed the Crows of his decision two days after their grand final defeat to Richmond.

Walker told Adelaide’s Triple M he had a blunt conversation with Lever and made it clear he was disappointed with his decision to leave Adelaide after three seasons.

But the skipper denied reports he engaged in a heated argument when the 21-year-old called him the Monday after the grand final.

“I didn’t have a crack at him,” Walker said.

“But I was pretty honest because I don’t like people leaving our footy club. I’m not going to agree with him.

“But I don’t think I was arrogant or aggressive towards him. I was probably blunt.

“He said that he’s decided to leave the footy club and I said ‘Mate, if that’s the decision you want to make … we’re two days out from losing a grand final and I think our footy club’s going in the right direction’.

“I think it’s pretty much him choosing money over success.”

Walker is not a fan of the modern AFL landscape where players can move more easily between clubs.

But he conceded the Crows had done well on the flip side of the issue with grand final teammates Tom Lynch, Eddie Betts, Josh Jenkins and Sam Jacobs all starting their careers elsewhere.

The skipper was complimentary of Lever’s dedication to the Crows cause since his debut in 2015 but queried the youngster’s priorities.

“For Jake, I think the difference in money was a lot,” Walker said of the contract offers put to him.

“So if you’re driven by money or if you’re driven by success it’s a decision you need to make.”

Adelaide have begun trade talks with Melbourne and are sticking by their demand for two first-round draft picks for Lever.

© AAP 2018
    Do you find yourself logged out of The Roar?
    We have just switched over to a secure site (https). This means you will need to log-in afresh. If you need help with recovering your password, please get in contact.

This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

• October 10th 2017 @ 1:03pm
      Big Pete said | October 10th 2017 @ 1:03pm | ! Report

I think most of the players in the AFL that leave are motivated by the extra money the whole draft trading needs a complete overhaul with conditions that give more reward for the clubs.. players are now running the show and not the clubs its becoming a complete circus..Gary Ablett left Geelong for money yet he had the audacity to lie and say he wanted a change of scenery if l was Geelong l would never have entertained the thought of having him back..Geelong you should have set an example and made it clear the club comes before the individual.

October 10th 2017 @ 1:19pm
      Cat said | October 10th 2017 @ 1:19pm | ! Report

Jimmy Bartel on Taylor Walker: “You haven’t had success either”

That about sums it up.

• October 10th 2017 @ 1:54pm
        Kane said | October 10th 2017 @ 1:54pm | ! Report

I was just thinking the exact same thing, who’s to say that Melbourne won’t have more success than Adelaide over the next 10 years. I like Tex but he’s carrying on a bit, it’s the way the AFL works these days and if the AFLPA get their way it’ll be happening a lot more often with Free Agency after 4 years.

• October 10th 2017 @ 7:19pm
          Deladi said | October 10th 2017 @ 7:19pm | ! Report

He’s not carrying on though he was asked why he thought Lever left and he answered honestly.

• Roar Pro

October 10th 2017 @ 2:37pm
        Darren M said | October 10th 2017 @ 2:37pm | ! Report

I agree with you 100%.

• October 11th 2017 @ 7:52am
          Nineteen said | October 11th 2017 @ 7:52am | ! Report

No doubt he’s having to sell the vision to the team. All leaders do.

When you’re a start up it’s all vision with the promise of ‘many happy returns.’

Adelaide has yet to reach the ranks of an AFL juggernaut. They’re still trying to establish that reputation and no doubt that will require some sacrifices along the way.

October 10th 2017 @ 2:00pm
      AdelaideDocker said | October 10th 2017 @ 2:00pm | ! Report

I like the Crows, and Tex, but he’s got to just shut up. Lever will leave, and that’ll be that.

No amount of chest puffing and “I’m the captain now” rants will stop that.

• October 10th 2017 @ 2:06pm
      Tristan said | October 10th 2017 @ 2:06pm | ! Report

Person leaves job for higher paying job. I get that sport is not rational from a fan’s point of view, but why is leaving for a pay rise so frowned upon?

• October 10th 2017 @ 2:15pm
      truetigerfan said | October 10th 2017 @ 2:15pm | ! Report

That’s what happens when you appoint a bogan as club captain.

• October 10th 2017 @ 4:06pm
        Birdman said | October 10th 2017 @ 4:06pm | ! Report

baahhaaa – gold!

• October 10th 2017 @ 5:59pm
          Zed16 said | October 10th 2017 @ 5:59pm | ! Report

Tex has put 3 times the energy into bagging Lever than his effort on GF day!

• October 10th 2017 @ 8:35pm
        Basil said | October 10th 2017 @ 8:35pm | ! Report

and Dusty isn’t a bogan?

• October 11th 2017 @ 5:25am
          Slane said | October 11th 2017 @ 5:25am | ! Report

He isn’t captain…

• Roar Pro

October 10th 2017 @ 2:35pm
      Darren M said | October 10th 2017 @ 2:35pm | ! Report

I find it hard to believe that any player will just go to any old club simply because they paid more that the others.

They have to want to end up at that place in the first case, or at least weighing them up as an option.

No player just thinks, “well…you’re a crap club with no future and terrible leadership and I can’t stand any of the players, but you’ll pay me the most so I’ll go there!” It’s just not logical.

Players have been changing clubs, and clubs have been offering more money that other clubs to lure them there for ages.

Why would you want to try to hold onto a player that doesn’t want to be there? You’ll end up wasting the spot on the list and delisting them for nothing anyway. Better to be professional and facilitate the trade while the player has currency.

, , ,