Leaving Roosters right call for me: Pearce

Mitchell Pearce insists leaving the Sydney Roosters is the best decision for his career as he seeks to become “the best halfback I can be.”

The Roosters on Monday ended weeks of speculation around Pearce’s future by granting their long-time halfback a release from the final two years of his contract.

The move comes two weeks after the Roosters lured veteran Kangaroos star Cooper Cronk on a two-year deal to be the club’s new halfback, and days after Pearce’s return from an overseas holiday.

Pearce’s exit also came hours after Manly announced the immediate release of veteran playmaker Blake Green, who is widely tipped to join the Warriors on a three-year deal.

The 28-year-old Pearce has played all 238 of his NRL games so far for the Tricolours.

“Obviously, this hasn’t been an easy decision for me to come to, but I feel that it’s the right one,” Pearce said in a statement on Monday.

“I’ve been with the Roosters since I was 17 and have grown into a man here. I’ve made a lot of close friends at the club, and I’ve always been proud to wear the Roosters jersey.”

Pearce hinted it could be weeks until he reveals his new home.

“The Roosters club and people there will always mean a lot to me,” he said.

“But I’m looking forward to the opportunity and challenge joining a new club will bring, while continuing to push myself to be the best halfback I can be.

“Now that I’ve made this decision, hopefully I’ll have the rest of my future sorted over the next few weeks.”

Roosters chairman Nick Polities is adamant the club wanted to keep Pearce in the squad.

“Mitchell has been a big part of the Sydney Roosters club for more than a decade. He’s played 11 seasons of NRL and is among the most-capped players in our club’s history,” Politis said.

“We all love Pearcey – he has developed very strong relationships with a number of people at the club and we have been through a lot together.

“While it would have been great to see him continue to add to his legacy at the Roosters, we respect his decision.”

Roosters coach Trent Robinson also thanked Pearce for his long service.

“We’ve been through a lot and I have a lot of respect for Junior (Pearce) both as a footballer and as a man,” said Robinson.

“I’d personally like to thank Pearcey for the role he’s played at the Roosters.

“He’s a good person who will always have many friends at the club, and I know I speak on behalf of everyone in wishing him all the very best.”

© AAP 2018

If you could choose from any and every NRL player in the competition, who would you pick in your rugby league dream team? Let us know with our team picker right here, and be sure to share it with all your league-loving mates.

• November 21st 2017 @ 9:31am
      paul said | November 21st 2017 @ 9:31am | ! Report

Politis is not bad, is he? He knows bringing Cronk to Easts would cause all sorts of grief for Pearce yet still wants him to stay? What, as a second string half to Cronk? Play out of position at hooker of 5/8?

I hope Pearce gets a gig at a decent side and shows Easts what they threw away. Could be the making of the guy.

• November 21st 2017 @ 10:33am
        Albo said | November 21st 2017 @ 10:33am | ! Report

I still think the Roosters strategy in nabbing Cronk is fraught with a lot of risk for this team. Little thought appears to have been given to the team’s cohesion going forward. Pearce has been the focal point of that team for a decade and I am sure there are plenty of his team mates not happy he has been forced out of the Club. There is plenty of blind faith being exhibited that Cronk will be much better for this team, yet he has never played in a team without Smith, Slater & Bellamy to assist his game. Furthermore he is getting on in years and his body is becoming more vulnerable to a serious injury ( ie as for JT, Scott etc). If he cops a serious injury early in the season, where will that leave the Roosters without a back up like Pearce to take over ? That’s obviously why they wanted Pearce to stay on and be happy as a reserve.

• November 21st 2017 @ 11:29am
          canetoad said | November 21st 2017 @ 11:29am | ! Report

really? … or maybe they just want to get rid of Pearce and the only way to do it after all these years was to trump card him.

• November 21st 2017 @ 1:33pm
            Albo said | November 21st 2017 @ 1:33pm | ! Report

You may be right, canetoad ! I am just not convinced Cronk will necessarily be the new saviour for the Roosters that most are anticipating ? And after decimating a good part of your current side to accommodate him ( incl. cutting lose halves Pearce & Watson) , you will be hoping Cooper stays fit & healthy & delivers a Storm performance regularly.

November 22nd 2017 @ 7:04am
              Hard Yards said | November 22nd 2017 @ 7:04am | ! Report

Two words : Matt Orford.

• November 22nd 2017 @ 8:44pm
                Big Will TBU said | November 22nd 2017 @ 8:44pm | ! Report

Oh that hurts Yardsy – as a tragic Raiders fan we waiting an age for Orford to finally take the field and by then he wasn’t even up to first grade standard, let alone a shining star with potential to lead us to a premiership….I weep when I hear the name.

• November 22nd 2017 @ 11:02pm
                Greg Ambrose said | November 22nd 2017 @ 11:02pm | ! Report

Yardsy you need to keep the woeful record of ex Manly players a bit of a secret. Even the great Craig Bellamy gets fooled by the illusion and signs George Rose and Nate Myles.

We need to be able to offload them somewhere but the curse keeps developing.

• November 21st 2017 @ 11:50am
          Duncan Smith said | November 21st 2017 @ 11:50am | ! Report

You forget Slater was out for 18 months recently and Cronk was still playing.

• November 21st 2017 @ 9:48am
      Duncan Smith said | November 21st 2017 @ 9:48am | ! Report

Strange to think if Pearce goes to Manly, he’ll team with another dominant halfback in DCE, so similar problem to Cronk at Easts. Go to Cronulla, and he’s with Townsend or Moylan, and at Newcastle he could call the shots. I’ll be interested to see how this pans out,

• November 21st 2017 @ 10:12am
        bearfax said | November 21st 2017 @ 10:12am | ! Report

Totally different going to Manly. He wont be a ‘super sub’ he will be a roving half. DCE plays like a 5/8 and often interchanges with the 5/8. He did that all the time with Foran. Barrett may also designate DCE as 5/8 and I doubt he will be upset with that. They are well matched. An organising half and a running half. No problems.

November 21st 2017 @ 11:25am
          Dogs Boddy said | November 21st 2017 @ 11:25am | ! Report

This makes a bit of sense.

Can Manly afford him though??

• November 21st 2017 @ 3:56pm
            bearfax said | November 21st 2017 @ 3:56pm | ! Report

According to others said to have inside info, they can and have some left over.

• November 21st 2017 @ 5:22pm
        John said | November 21st 2017 @ 5:22pm | ! Report

The real question is: can two origin maligned halves make a right?

• November 21st 2017 @ 9:50am
      Danny said | November 21st 2017 @ 9:50am | ! Report

He will be a massive flop at Manly as he won’t be able to be the foil to DCE that Green was and I can’t wait to watch it all unravel.

• November 21st 2017 @ 10:15am
        bearfax said | November 21st 2017 @ 10:15am | ! Report

On the contrary, the way they both play the game complements each other more than DCE and Green. It would take a lot of the pressure off DCE.

November 21st 2017 @ 9:56am
      Dogs Boddy said | November 21st 2017 @ 9:56am | ! Report

Yes I hear Cronulla are still circling, but I can’t see how.

We need a 5/8 not a halfback, unless they have other plans for Chad Townsend we don’t know about. He’s not a 5/8 either really. Moylan could play there with Chad or Mitch in the halves but as I understood it Moylan was brought in to play fullback.

Of course if you put Moylan at fullback it puts Valentine’s nose out of joint as he considers himself a first choice fullback, despite having a poor 2017 and shining on the wing for the Kangaroos. There is also Dugan to consider.

I’m not sure what Flanno is up to but they have expressed interest in Mitch Pearce. Apparently he wasn’t going to let Maloney go when negotiations first opened up with Penrith over Moylan, but changed his mind when it was rumoured that Pearce would leave Easts.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

November 21st 2017 @ 12:45pm
        spruce moose said | November 21st 2017 @ 12:45pm | ! Report

Oh, they’d throw Townsend to the wolves in a heartbeat if it meant nabbing Pearce.

• November 22nd 2017 @ 1:46pm
        Greg said | November 22nd 2017 @ 1:46pm | ! Report

Towsend played ok at the Warriors when he was a 5/8

• November 21st 2017 @ 10:28am
      souvalis said | November 21st 2017 @ 10:28am | ! Report

Wonder if the Warriors have the same under lying thoughts about S. Johnson as the Chooks had for Mitchell…change wouldn’t hurt him,nor them as it stands..imagine him,Holmes,Dugan and Moylan for a moment,running the football at the Sharks..ha ha,that’ll be the day..

• November 21st 2017 @ 2:33pm
        SAVAGE said | November 21st 2017 @ 2:33pm | ! Report

Bro, I was thinking the same thing. The Warriors could do with a no nonsense gobby half back, who won’t hesitate to give his team mates a spray when required.

• November 21st 2017 @ 11:00am
      Rabbit said | November 21st 2017 @ 11:00am | ! Report

Any truth to the rumour that the Tigers made him an offer ?