The Roar
The Roar


Swans stun Cats with final-quarter blitz

Callum Sinclair of the Swans celebrates after kicking a goal during the AFL Second Elimination Final match between the Sydney Swans and the Essendon Bombers at Sydney Cricket Ground on September 9, 2017 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/AFL Media/Getty Images)
28th April, 2018

Sydney have stormed home with a seven-goal final-quarter blitz to stun Geelong by 17 points in the AFL match at GMHBA Stadium.

The Swans looked down and out when they trailed by 22 points at three-quarter time, having booted only one goal in the previous two terms.

Rookie Robbie Fox got the visitors up and going with a huge mark and goal early in the fourth quarter and his teammates responded, as they kicked away to win 12.14 (86) to 10.9 (69).

It was Sydney’s third straight victory at the stadium, which are also the only three matches the Cats have dropped in the past 21 on their home deck.

With Callum Sinclair holding sway early in the ruck against Rhys Stanley, the Swans were good value for their 15-point lead at quarter-time.

But the home side wrested the momentum back their way in the second term, booting four goals to nil to lead by by 12 points at the long change.

Geelong midfielder George Horlin-Smith was concussed early in the quarter and took no further part in the match.

Sydney’s only score of the second term was a behind following a dreadful error by Luke Parker.

The Swans midfielder took a strong mark at the top of the goalsquare but botched his simple set shot, allowing Zach Guthrie to get a finger on the ball while manning the mark.


Sydney finally broke their goalscoring drought midway through the third term.

But even then it required the intervention of the video official to determine that Isaac Heeney’s accidental back heel had crossed the goal line after the umpires had initially called a rushed behind.

Fox and Will Hayward booted two goals apiece in the one-sided final quarter as Sydney turned a 22-point deficit into a 17-point triumph for their fourth win of 2018.

Jordan Murdoch was reported just before halftime for a high bump on Heeney, although there didn’t appear to be any malice from the Geelong utility.

The Cats have another home game at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night against the GWS Giants, while the Swans’ next challenge is against North Melbourne at the SCG.