Folau won’t change aerial technique

Israel Folau says he won’t change his attack on the aerial contest despite his ban, but has called for more clarity on the laws in that area.

The Wallabies fullback received a one-match suspension from World Rugby for his mid-air challenge with Ireland Captain Peter O’Mahony in the final Test in Sydney.

Folau missed the NSW Waratahs’ crucial Super Rugby away win over Melbourne, but will be back for Saturday’s home game against the Sunwolves.

While disappointed by the ban Folau was adamant he didn’t need to change his approach or technique.

“I’ll still keep attacking the ball the way I do,” Folau said.

“I think going forward I’d like to see a little bit more clarity within that particular area of the game, not only for myself, but other players are involved in those aerial contests – I think it’s vital and very important.

“I’ll keep being persistent with the way that I attack the ball in the air and do it in a way that’s obviously fair and clean.”

His wife and New Zealand netball star Maria Folau posted a tweet with a video of her husband being challenged by Ireland counterpart Rob Kearney accompanied by the question “Is this not deemed as dangerous/foul play??”

Asked if he was frustrated by any inconsistency over the laws Folau said “Across the board, I think people feel that way.

“It’s obviously out of our hands as a player to clear those things up.”

Folau is acutely aware of the potential dangers involved in an aerial contest.

“Although I agree with what (Waratahs coach) Daryl (Gibson) is saying, there has to be a responsibility on the player that’s lifting him to bring him down safely, and everyone understands, when you go into a contest in the air, you are going to make contact with the opposing player,” Folau said.

“It’s not going to be always clean in the sense that there won’t be any contact, but I understand the dangers of being in the air.

“The last thing you want for yourself or for the opposing player is for anyone to get any serious injury.”

Asked about using his hands or arms in an aerial contest Folau said “I guess that’s the argument, that from my point of view, when you are gong up for a high ball, everything is judged on the flight of the ball in the air and decisions change in the air.

“So when you are going for a one-hand tap back, the other hand is obviously going to be placed in a position where it’s trying to counter-balance your hand that’s tapping back, so it’s a natural movement, which is what I’m saying.

“You’ve obviously got to be wary of that whilst you are in the air, but I won’t be nervous going up into the air, going for those high balls or have a second thought about the way that I attack the ball in the air.”

© AAP 2018
    Getting hassled by a parent or partner about spending too much time playing video games? Now, you can tell them the story of how some ordinary gamers scored $225k for just seven weeks of work.

• July 2nd 2018 @ 7:52pm
      tyrone said | July 2nd 2018 @ 7:52pm | ! Report

“I think going forward I’d like to see a little bit more clarity within that particular area of the game”

dont touch the other guy with your hands, only touch the ball with your hands

• July 2nd 2018 @ 8:06pm
      Val Saunders said | July 2nd 2018 @ 8:06pm | ! Report

Amazing! How arrogant by both Folau and his advisors in taking the attitude that he won’t change his technique. The article talks about clarity and the responsibility of the lifter, in other words trying to deflect blame away from himself.

Whether you agree with it or not, as in any industry when the rules change you have to adopt. You may not agree with the changes but rules are not made for the benefit of one player but the game as a whole.

If there is another yellow card for Folau in this weeks game what then? Will the Australian media back Folau again? Will Gibson back Folau again especially if they lose? Will the spectators be happy that he gets sent off again for the same offence?

I know if I was the coach or a paying spectator I would have no sympathy!

July 3rd 2018 @ 2:52am
        taylorman said | July 3rd 2018 @ 2:52am | ! Report

Im actually surprised youre surprised. For in Folaus world he can neither say nor do no wrong. Think weve grown accustomed to the obvious by now. Its ‘others’ that need to change things. 😂

• July 2nd 2018 @ 8:39pm
      CHUCKED said | July 2nd 2018 @ 8:39pm | ! Report

I can’t wait until Rugby Championship time. Think what NZ and SA coaches will do, they will be salivating. Folau wants clarity – I will give it – DON’T TOUCH THE OPPOSITION PLAYER. Bang him with your knees, hips, thighs, shoulders, fall over in a big heap but keep your hands off.

This will be worth 6 points a test minimum to AUST Opposition. NZ, SA and ARGY will lift players, they will have players stand their ground *(legal) and watch as Folau grabs for air and the other jumpers jersey.

This has to be some of the most arrogant comments from Rugby Player in a while, and his Kiwi wife supports him. Hope she can spare the time to attend the spinal ward when another jump goes wrong and a player lands on his neck. I watched 6 super rugby games in weekend, saw 100+ jumps from all teams and players crashed to teh ground everywhere, but noone was grabbing opposition

• July 2nd 2018 @ 9:50pm
      Drongo said | July 2nd 2018 @ 9:50pm | ! Report

The only change required is to exaggerate an open palmed landing, so make believe ‘claw like grabs’ can’t be imagined from freeze-framed real time events. Easy. He doesn’t consider that a change to his ‘technique’.

• July 3rd 2018 @ 10:19am
        Kesmcc said | July 3rd 2018 @ 10:19am | ! Report

Its is neither make believe nor imagined when it is shown clear as day in photographic evidence.

July 3rd 2018 @ 10:58am
          piru said | July 3rd 2018 @ 10:58am | ! Report

Drongo believes the photos were faked

seriously

• July 3rd 2018 @ 11:26am
            Kesmcc said | July 3rd 2018 @ 11:26am | ! Report

Haha I bet he’s a flat earther as well

• July 4th 2018 @ 11:34am
            Drongo said | July 4th 2018 @ 11:34am | ! Report

Personal abuse. More join in. Typical. There were several faked images going around the net. The conclusions were fake in any event. ‘Claw-like grip’. In 4/10ths if a second.
            Yeah, right.

July 4th 2018 @ 12:10pm
              piru said | July 4th 2018 @ 12:10pm | ! Report

Don’t dish it out if you don’t like it back Drongo

You claimed the photos were faked / photoshopped

That’s a fact

July 3rd 2018 @ 5:56am
      taylorman said | July 3rd 2018 @ 5:56am | ! Report

Is he going to start posting netball shots is really the question.😀

• July 3rd 2018 @ 7:45am
      Aussikiwi said | July 3rd 2018 @ 7:45am | ! Report

but you don’t change your leap,
      When God’s on your side.

(with apologies to Bob Dylan)

July 3rd 2018 @ 10:59am