Collingwood’s American ruck-forward Mason Cox has declared he is “100 per cent planning to play next year” in an article on AthletesVoice.
Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury’s AFL season could be over with the star veteran fearing he has broken his leg.
Pendlebury left a massive hole in the Magpies midfield when he was subbed out at quarter-time during Friday night’s defeat by Port Adelaide.
The 33-year-old did not seem too distressed as he watched on from the bench but told ABC Radio after the 28-point loss he has had similar injuries before.
Pendlebury broke his leg in 2009 and compared the pain to that incident.
But Collingwood coach Robert Harvey said the club would wait until Pendlebury had scans to make an accurate call on his immediate future.
“It’s a pretty early diagnosis, that one (from Pendlebury),” Harvey said.
“All we know is he was a bit sore to go back on so until we get further information (it is hard to know).”
The Magpies led by five points when Pendlebury went off but had to replace him with tall forward Mason Cox.
Harvey defended the decision to use Cox as the medical sub and backed the Magpies’ midfield brigade that fought valiantly against Port stars Travis Boak and Ollie Wines.
Pendlebury’s potential absence for the rest of the season will create further room for Harvey to blood young Magpies talent.
Irish recruit Anton Tohill and small forward Jack Ginnivan played against the Power, bringing the number of Collingwood debutants to nine this year.
Teenager Oliver Henry continues to make strides after kicking three goals in a breakout game against Carlton last week.
Henry booted 2.3 against the Power and looked right at home up forward – an area where Collingwood have struggled significantly this year.
“It’s really good for Ollie Henry because he’s strung that together and backed up last week,” Harvey said.
“I think he’s a really talent for us. We’ve got a lot of guys who we’ve got games into this year that are going to be good for this club for a long time.”