The Big Bash League has had its first COVID-19 drama after a case in the Melbourne Stars’ camp forced Thursday night’s clash with Perth to be postponed.
In a dramatic few hours for the league, a member of the Stars’ support staff was told on Thursday afternoon they had tested positive to the virus.
The Stars’ squad was hastily rushed in for PCR tests, but were still awaiting results just hours before the scheduled 7:15pm start time.
“While regrettable, the decision to postpone tonight’s match was the only option available given the exposures within the Stars cohort,” BBL boss Alistair Dobson said.
“The League has a number of biosecurity protocols in place to keep our participants safe and the competition moving forward.
“These protocols are regularly reviewed in response to the risks in each state.
“Safety remains our number one priority and we will work with the Stars to get their side back on the field as soon as possible.”
The Stars host Perth again on Sunday, before the big Melbourne derby the following day at the MCG which is expected to attract 40,000 fans.
Getting those matches on would be key for Cricket Australia, while still managing the health of players.
The Stars-Scorchers match was originally meant to be played in Perth but was shifted to Marvel Stadium earlier this month due to the Western Australia border closure.
Cricket Australia had previously avoided the same issues faced by both the A-League and the NBL.
This came despite players still using commercial airlines and not being in a hard bubble while still operating under some protocols.
A new date for Thursday’s match is expected to be confirmed within days.