AFL star Jordan De Goey will likely be offered a plea deal which downgrades his charges over an incident at a New York bar, a US court has heard.
The Collingwood utility via video link from Melbourne in a US court on assault charges on Wednesday.
The charges stem from an alleged assault at a Manhattan rooftop bar on October 30 last year.
De Goey has previously pleaded not guilty and the assault charges will now likely be downgraded to harassment.
Prosecutor Brendan Mahon told the court “the people are likely” to make a conditional offer of a plea deal for a harassment in the second degree assault charge.
De Goey’s lawyer Jacob Kaplan told the court he needed more time to find a counselling program in Australia for the AFL player to participate in as part of any plea deal agreement.
De Goey, who previously pleaded not guilty, confirmed he understood Judge Anna Swern’s instructions as both parties discussed the potential of a plea deal.
Prosecutor Brendan Mahon said they had obtained “video surveillance footage” of the alleged incident, but that “the people are likely” to extend a conditional offer of a plea deal for a harassment in the second degree charge.
Upon the court returning from an adjournment, Kaplan informed Judge Swern that the ADA would be offering a deal on one count of harrassment in the second degree once the defence had identified a suitable “program” for De Goey to complete in Australia.
The case was adjourned until January 28.
De Goey remains stood down by Collingwood.