Live scores
vs
Waratahs : 14
| 13:14

Why the Wallabies’ Indigenous jersey should be permanent

Fionn Roar Guru

By Fionn, Fionn is a Roar Guru

The unveiling of the Wallabies’ first Indigenous jersey moved Kurtley Beale close to tears. I must admit, I felt overcome by emotion when first seeing it too.

Beale’s reaction demonstrates the huge symbolic meaning of the jersey, not only to our Indigenous people, but to all patriotic Australians who recognise the crimes committed against Australia’s Indigenous population since European colonisation.

Anyone who has Indigenous friends, anyone who has seen the conditions many Indigenous people live in until today, anyone who recognises the contribution indigenous Australians made and make to our great country, or anyone who simply cares for our Indigenous fellow Australians should have been moved by the symbolism of the jersey.

For almost the first two centuries of European colonisation of Australia, Indigenous people were treated horribly by both society and the law. They were denied equal rights, were dispossessed of their homes and were routinely discriminated against.

But times are changing.

The landmark 1992 Mabo decision held that the doctrine of Terra Nullius had been a myth created by the colonisers for their own benefit.

In the next couple of years, Australia will have a referendum on whether to recognise Indigenous Australians in the Constitution.

The NRL and AFL have Indigenous rounds, but union should go one step further and make the one-off jersey permanent.

The jersey is a fusion of the traditional Wallabies strip and Indigenous art and flags; it recognises the history and traditions of both Indigenous Australians and the Wallabies.

Aside from the fact the jersey looks brilliant, making it permanent would be an excellent way to recognise the importance of Indigenous Australians to modern society, as well as to Australian rugby.

Further, the jersey simply looks much better than the horrors the Wallabies have worn for most of the last decade (although it is still yellow rather than gold, unfortunately).

Finally, retaining the Indigenous jersey on a permanent basis could have the effect of lessening the private school, old boys club reputation that rugby suffers from in wider Australian society, and hopefully result in getting more Indigenous players playing our great sport.

Given the outstanding contributions of Indigenous players in the past, this could mean nothing but good things for Australian rugby.

Sure, some aspects of the jersey could be improved – for example, the incorporation of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags could be better – but the overall design of the jersey would make an excellent long-term Wallabies strip.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 2:55am
      englishbob said | July 22nd 2017 @ 2:55am | ! Report

i dont feel qualified to offer a view on the aboriginal issues, being as I’ve not been to Australia yet, but it is a good kit. Its very very early days but a kit the team and fans identify with and become invested in can be a mighty powerful thing, the all black kit for instance. I wouldn’t see any harm in giving it two years, build the brand and get the players playing for the jersey

• July 22nd 2017 @ 3:16am
      jeff dustby said | July 22nd 2017 @ 3:16am | ! Report

Maybe we should also have some Italian part of the jersey considering the impact that have had on Australia too.

“lessening the private school, old boys club reputation” – this makes absolutely zero sense

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:48pm
        Simoc said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:48pm | ! Report

The Italians didn’t invade and massacre the locals jeff. But that would be way over your obviously limited intellect.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 4:22am
      Kitch said | July 22nd 2017 @ 4:22am | ! Report

Like it!…Aus don’t really have an identity so this could be something that helps.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 12:35pm
        McGruff said | July 22nd 2017 @ 12:35pm | ! Report

@Kitch- Ive got both indigenous and convict blood.
        To deny the fact that both have shaped our national identity is total garbage.
        @Fiona – Yes the indigenous design is needed but why make a dig at the yellow jersey that we’ve supported for so many years ?

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:07pm
          Fionn said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:07pm | ! Report

Because I think the jersey should be gold (as it traditionally was) rather than the yellow it has been for the last 7-10 years.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 4:42am
      Riddler said | July 22nd 2017 @ 4:42am | ! Report

Cheers for the article fionn..

I have no skin in the game other than getting rid of the horrid yellow that seems to have become the norm over the last 15 years..

I have to admit that I am partial to the mid and lae 80’s strip of just gold and green collar.. but that is my memories of youth and god like heros. .

• July 22nd 2017 @ 12:24pm
        Fionn said | July 22nd 2017 @ 12:24pm | ! Report

Ughhh… the yellow!

Why on earth do they keep doing it, who do they think likes it???

• July 22nd 2017 @ 4:48pm
          Brizvegas said | July 22nd 2017 @ 4:48pm | ! Report

Fionn agree it is time for a change especially when you here the referee call out Yellow you are offside

July 22nd 2017 @ 7:12pm
          Huw Tindall said | July 22nd 2017 @ 7:12pm | ! Report

I’d wager that it’s because it looks better on TV and camera. I remember talking to a marketing guy in F1 and he said they spent inordinate amounts of money and time testing paints colours on the cars to look best on TV and camera. Would think the Wallabies would do the same. Easy being England and NZ where it’s white or black. Not even colours technically! Just shades…

July 22nd 2017 @ 5:47am
      Armand van Zyl said | July 22nd 2017 @ 5:47am | ! Report

Thanks for the read, Fionn.

Enlightening article, especially for someone like me who doesn’t know the culture and history of Australia as well as he probably should.

I quite like the indigenous jersey. It caught me by surprise one day when I just logged onto the Roar and, suffice to say, it left a good first impression, which of course we all know is the sign of a truly original and captivating design. I could definitely get into the Wallabies wearing it as their primary kit. If I could, however, I would suggest to whoever’s in charge of the design to give the jersey just a little more of a golden tint. It’s currently a tad too canary yellow to my taste — not egregiously so, but there is room for improvement.

I wonder if the more traditional route might catch on with other countries. New Zealand, Samoa, Fiji and Tonga all have traditional-styled jerseys and have had them for a long time. South Africa may want to look into it, given the current political climate in its sport. They’ve already upgraded the Impi and the whole pre-match Zulu ritual, maybe a new jersey design is the way to go. They do have a lot of cultures to choose from after all.

Anyway, if there was a poll, the Indigenous Jersey would definitely get my vote. As long as its a little more gold.

July 22nd 2017 @ 9:52am
        Machooka said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:52am | ! Report

AvZ… howzit hangin’ bro? 🙂

Long time no see. Good to have your considerable presence back here again amongst the unwashed 😉

• July 22nd 2017 @ 11:22am
          Jibba Jabba said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:22am | ! Report

But i just had a shower…

July 22nd 2017 @ 7:08pm
          Armand van Zyl said | July 22nd 2017 @ 7:08pm | ! Report

Hey Chooks.

I’ve been pretty good thanks, and yourself? I thought it about time to climb back into things after a sabbatical.

Commiserations on your beloved Tahs, mate. I can’t believe what I’ve been seeing this year.

I leave you to your own devices for a year and look at what has become of you!

July 22nd 2017 @ 7:15pm
            Machooka said | July 22nd 2017 @ 7:15pm | ! Report

Just say it buddy… it’s been CR@P!!!

Geez… it’s total CR@P just like a load of comments here 😉

• July 22nd 2017 @ 1:29pm
        Fionn said | July 22nd 2017 @ 1:29pm | ! Report

Cheers, mate. How have you been?

Agreed, it needs more gold, less yellow!

• July 22nd 2017 @ 2:50pm
          Selector said | July 22nd 2017 @ 2:50pm | ! Report

I was a fan of the gold the Brumbies used this year.
          I don’t think it could be used as the main colour, but certainly as an accent colour.
          I would love to see a bold move for the jersey and personally love the Indigenous art design on the jersey.

July 22nd 2017 @ 7:10pm
          Armand van Zyl said | July 22nd 2017 @ 7:10pm | ! Report

A way from peachy keen, mate, but still peachy nonetheless. How’s life been treating you?

Gold is golden, mate. Yellow is too mellow. Bring back the gold I say!

• July 22nd 2017 @ 6:00pm
        YeahRight said | July 22nd 2017 @ 6:00pm | ! Report

AVZ, it might be an enlightening “opinion”, but there is more to Australia’s history than what many of us are too afraid to discuss or debate. It seems the biggest sin one can commit these days is not pointing the finger of racism at someone else in an effort to prove oneself morally superior. What may have been inconvenient to address in the past has gone so far in the opposite direction that anything and everything goes when promoting reverse racist viewpoints. And if you think that I’m joking, watch the abuse that starts just because I believe that creating different inequalities doesn’t fix past inequalities.
        I have no problem with the jumper and would be happy for it to be a permanent fixture. But if used like our enlightened author suggests as a tool to propagate divisions within our society, then forget it.

July 22nd 2017 @ 7:03pm
          Armand van Zyl said | July 22nd 2017 @ 7:03pm | ! Report

Hi, YeahRight.

Thanks for the different point-of-view, but you have to remember you’re talking with a South African here, mate. I know all about racism, past injustices and current injustices. I know how it’s like to live in a country where it’d purely perceived racism to talk about the topic of racism itself. I know what it’s like to be a prisoner of political correctness.

What you say feels familiar to me, and make no mistake that I do understand where you’re coming from. The best I can do is offer you my view on the subject, as I believe we’re in the same boat.

If we take a good look at the Indigenous Jersey, we can see that it can be a symbol of a many different things. We can see that it is obviously inspired by the history and the culture of the indigenous people, who regardless of what we might think or say, completely deserve to be included in the Wallaby culture, to give to Wallaby culture, to form Wallaby culture. We can see that the jersey itself is still in the style of traditional Wallaby jerseys. The colour is the historical variety that we commonly associate with. We can see that the old is not abolished. What we see is an amalgamation of traditional Wallaby culture and Indigenous Wallaby culture.

We can either see it as an over-glorification of Indigenous culture, an answer to previous injustices, or we can see it as Indigenous culture becoming one with traditional culture.

If we see it as the latter, we can see that it is an equal representation. And if we see it like that, and the Indigenous Jersey is made the primary strip, it no longer will be known as an Indigenous Jersey. It will simply be known as a Wallaby Jersey; new and improved.

That’s my take on it anyway. Let me know what you think.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 8:19pm
            YeahRight said | July 22nd 2017 @ 8:19pm | ! Report

Thanks for your take on the matter. Like I said, no problem with the jumper but let’s not turn it into a misconceived social justice message. I respect our cultural history but can’t see how paronising, pitying any changing expectations according to race, as some others are so inclined to do, will ever succeed in creating equality.

• July 23rd 2017 @ 11:51am
            Jibba Jabba said | July 23rd 2017 @ 11:51am | ! Report

And your view of the culture it could become is better than — dare i say it — cheikas culture…

• July 23rd 2017 @ 11:26am
        Jibba Jabba said | July 23rd 2017 @ 11:26am | ! Report

You probably could get into the Wallabies Armand, they have a few vacancies…

• July 22nd 2017 @ 6:45am
      Redsfan1 said | July 22nd 2017 @ 6:45am | ! Report

Rugby has a long history in this country. I dont see why non indigenous Australians who have been the majority of people playing it shouldn’t be recognised but indigenous people should.

I’m not indigenous and have had family who shave played and supported rugby for a very long time. While seeing the value in recognising indigenous people with a special jersey I feel a permanent jersey devalues the contribution of non indigenous Australians to the jersey.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 8:36am
        nickbrisbane said | July 22nd 2017 @ 8:36am | ! Report

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:07am
        Jock M said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:07am | ! Report

Well written Redsfan1.
        We are all equal as Australians and we should be treated as such.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:20am
          Glen said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:20am | ! Report

I agree that indigenous people have an important place in Australia’s identity but they are only one group among many others in Australian society. A permanent jersey which has importance to indigenous players and fans but not others is counter productive.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:47am
            northerner said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:47am | ! Report

What makes you think that an attractive jersey wouldn’t have meaning for non-indigenous as well as indigenous fans? I’m a bit mystified by the idea that Australians of all backgrounds can’t share pride in a jersey which recognizes a significant part of what makes this country what it is.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 10:02am
              Canetragic said | July 22nd 2017 @ 10:02am | ! Report

I agree northerner. Developing stronger links to indigenous Australians doesn’t in any way devalue non-indigenous Australians. Kiwis of Pakeha decent strongly identify with the Haka, and have done for years. No harm there, but strong sense of inclusiveness.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 11:02am
              Redsfan1 said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:02am | ! Report

This is rugby which has its own history, not a political revisionism exercise. There is no meaning to a permanent indigenous jersey other then to push a political message and erase the history of the Wallabies jersey. Sorry I went to a private school and am European descent. That seems to be unfashionable in PC circles.

I celebrate Indigenous sportsmen but I don’t feel that singlingly them out for permanent representation on the jersey is fair or reflective of the rugby population/history in Australia.

And all of my rugby mates agree.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 8:20pm
                Josh said | July 22nd 2017 @ 8:20pm | ! Report

Well given the jersey is the Australian jersey and the aborionals have been here 65000 yrs i think it really should be the jersey. I have no indigenious blood but what i do have is australian blood and that makes aborigional history the history of my nation and my people the Australians

• July 25th 2017 @ 7:39am
                London Waratah said | July 25th 2017 @ 7:39am | ! Report

#Redsfan,

You obviously failed at your private school. Please read ‘Songlines’ after reading text books about the longest surviving culture in human history.

I too am of European descent and went to a private school but appreciate that everything modern man now strives for; i.e. a ‘Greener Existence’ with less of a carbon footprint etc, converges on that which is Australian Aboriginal culture. Please do some bloody homework and try to assimilate the message of aboriginal culture; i.e. take from the earth what you need and give back what you don’t use.

The massive ‘missing link’ in Australian identity is a sense of belonging to our nation of yes, collected groups. However the greatest opportunity Australians have in finding an identity is via the oldest continuous human chain in the world.

This isn’t reverse racism buddy…this is our ONLY opportunity to get singing at Wallabies games.

‘Welcome to Country’ has been a great start and the aboriginal art featured on this new jumper is as brilliant as that which covered the QANTAS 747 all those years ago. Ever since then, Kiwis and other nations have been plastering their indiginous art on their aircraft.

The Maories came to NZ 800 years ago and slayed the indiginous New Zealanders (as well as the now extinct Moa bird). The Australian Aboriginals have never slayed anyone and have been here for 65,000 years. Perhaps maths wasn’t your strong point at you Qld Private school (was it Christian Brohers by chance? They’re not really private schools and maths ‘aint their strong suit…usually).

Q: How many times does 800 go into 65000??? Please answer this.

The sooner this jumper gets going in GOLD!! people, the better. Don’t try to tell me or anyone else that yellow has any coudos…please spare me this crap.
                History is with the gold jumper and gold by nature, is the most sought-aftere metal in in a flawed western history. The juxtaposition of these 2 disparate stories should not be lost on a sharp mind.

Also the sooner we devise an hypnotic ‘Pointing of the bone’ indiginous pre-match dance, the better.

This is where we as Australians will get our identity…from Mother Earth and our Indiginous brothers who are politely silent in this debate.

While we’re at it, we need to replace our Governor General with an ‘Elder’; elected by traditoinal people, who will act as a figure-head of government.

Wake up Australia…this is our opportunity.

July 22nd 2017 @ 9:56am
            Machooka said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:56am | ! Report

Glen… it’s our historical culture and past.

To know who we are we must first know (understand) where we come from 😉

• July 22nd 2017 @ 11:07am
              Redsfan1 said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:07am | ! Report

Incorrect Machooka it’s the culture and history of Indigenous Australians. As a European Australian with pacific island-european children I wouldn’t feel any connection or passion for only Indigenous Australians to be represented in the jersey.

As Beale (and how he has been promoted as the flag bearer after his long rap list astounds me) has said there are few indigenous Australians who even care or play about rugby.

July 22nd 2017 @ 12:05pm
                Machooka said | July 22nd 2017 @ 12:05pm | ! Report

So so Qlds… and disappointingly so!

It’s the national jersey… and incorporates thus gives respect to our indigenous peoples.

And to single out Beale is just pathetic, narrowed minded, astounding and flys in the face of all the other indigenous peoples and their history.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 5:34pm
                S .Johnson said | July 22nd 2017 @ 5:34pm | ! Report

And that is why many people in Australia are ignorant to whats in their own back yard…and yet they make a song and dance when other indeginous people in the world are treated wrongly….take more pride in your country and what goes on behind those shut blin k ers of yours..

• July 23rd 2017 @ 11:55am
                Jibba Jabba said | July 23rd 2017 @ 11:55am | ! Report

Such a narrow view there Redsfan, but i guess Queenslanders with your history of Jo & Flo and PH have that reputation, didn’t realise it was a deserved reputation or is that a bit harsh.. on the others..
                (Through work I have met Jo & Flo every day over a 3 day period and it made me feel dirty just being in the same room with them)

• July 22nd 2017 @ 11:25am
            Jibba Jabba said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:25am | ! Report

But i just had a shower Chook 🙂

as far as the jersey is concerned Glen it is not counter productive, it recognises the history of this country, 65,000 years of habitation.. very few other countries have that.. and the players are representing the country not individual groups..

July 22nd 2017 @ 12:06pm
              Machooka said | July 22nd 2017 @ 12:06pm | ! Report

Good to see yo come clean Jibba 😉

• July 22nd 2017 @ 12:13pm
              Mike said | July 22nd 2017 @ 12:13pm | ! Report

“65,000 years of habitation..very few other countries have that..”

Where were they going to go?

• July 22nd 2017 @ 12:19pm
                Jibba Jabba said | July 22nd 2017 @ 12:19pm | ! Report

New Zealand ???

• July 22nd 2017 @ 11:38pm
                double agent said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:38pm | ! Report

I remember when it was 30,000. Now we’re up to 65,000.

• July 23rd 2017 @ 11:53am
                northerner said | July 23rd 2017 @ 11:53am | ! Report

@double agent – yep, science is an amazing tool. We learn more every day.

• July 23rd 2017 @ 11:55am
                Jibba Jabba said | July 23rd 2017 @ 11:55am | ! Report

Keep up with the news bro.. artifacts recently discovered in WA have been scientifically dated at 65,000 years.

• July 25th 2017 @ 7:57am
              London Waratah said | July 25th 2017 @ 7:57am | ! Report

Jo and Flo…please! Genuine question though…as there ever been a Qld PM?

• October 22nd 2017 @ 9:29am
                Steve said | October 22nd 2017 @ 9:29am | ! Report

Kevin Rudd

• July 22nd 2017 @ 10:17am
          timber said | July 22nd 2017 @ 10:17am | ! Report

While I agree with your sentiment, the term reverse racism is in itself racist.
          It implies racism is a white thing when in fact individuals of all races exhibit such behaviour.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 6:16pm
            YeahRight said | July 22nd 2017 @ 6:16pm | ! Report

And despite what you might like to call it, reverse racism exists and is deemed not only ok, but the very means of balancing past injustices. It is not only still racist in nature, but it has become the biggest hinderance to any minority group beeing perceived as equal in their own eyes or anyone else’s.

July 22nd 2017 @ 11:13am
          papagaai said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:13am | ! Report

I agree. This is reverse racism and divisive and reflective of the identity politics that is unsettling our Nation.
          We are all equal as Australians and we should be treated as such.
          We should stop promoting any small minority group at the expense of the vast majority of ethnic diverse nations who contributed to our rugby heritage……OR are we also going to have an English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Greek and 68 other different strips to play in?
          What about Canada…..a one off Inuit jersey?
          Just divisive political B/S.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 8:46pm
            Percy P said | July 22nd 2017 @ 8:46pm | ! Report

This attitude pervasive in Oz sport’s probably is one reason why the kiwis are so far ahead of us in their grassroots rugby development. Rugby is an inclusive sport in NZ through more or less its entire history, while it’s been an exclusive sport in Oz. Oz society is evolving, & it’s evolving away from rugby’s rah rah attitude. For rugby to survive there can be no barriers. The evolution of the national jersey is a baby step in the right direction, IMO.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 11:39pm
              double agent said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:39pm | ! Report

How is rugby exclusive?

• July 23rd 2017 @ 7:32am
                Gurudoright said | July 23rd 2017 @ 7:32am | ! Report

Maybe he couldn’t make the cut for the first XV

• July 24th 2017 @ 3:19pm
                Percy P said | July 24th 2017 @ 3:19pm | ! Report

He sure didn’t, Guru. He sometimes scraped into the 9th XV. Others have defined “inclusive” better than I. I think Rugby League & AFL have got a much better fist of the subject, hence their relative success, IMO.

• July 25th 2017 @ 8:00am
            London Waratah said | July 25th 2017 @ 8:00am | ! Report

So Papagaai,

I guess you think The Haka is reverse racism agains Pakeha?

I bet you’ve never complained about that to New Zealanders? Or have you?

• July 22nd 2017 @ 1:14pm
          Rett said | July 22nd 2017 @ 1:14pm | ! Report

How does this jersey not represent all Australians? It’s still gold (well yellow but that’s another story) and green, like previous jerseys. As for “reverse racism “-it doesn’t exist. Racism is racism, regardless .

• July 23rd 2017 @ 11:28am
          Jibba Jabba said | July 23rd 2017 @ 11:28am | ! Report

Not equal intelligence obviously … Jock

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:20am
        elvis said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:20am | ! Report

Well said. There should be one jersey for ALL the population not just putting forward one group.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:57am
          P2R2 said | July 22nd 2017 @ 9:57am | ! Report

maybe just maybe the jersey represents all Australians though it has an Indigenous flavour….what is it that non-Indigenous people are frightened of…???

• July 22nd 2017 @ 8:30pm
            YeahRight said | July 22nd 2017 @ 8:30pm | ! Report

P2R2 – Happy for it to represent all Australia and have an indigenous flavour. But the rubbish being pushed by the blog’s author is devisive and no help in promoting equality. If you see fear in other’s distaste of his views then that is your issue to deal with.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 8:41pm
              Fionn said | July 22nd 2017 @ 8:41pm | ! Report

What ‘rubbish’ is this?

• July 22nd 2017 @ 10:24pm
                YeahRight said | July 22nd 2017 @ 10:24pm | ! Report

I tend to consider all one-sided and racially based views, based on hyperbole, rhetoric and anecdotal histories as rubbish. Especially in an attempt to generalise and promote division based on race.
                If I was to generalise all indigenous behaviour with the same level of malice as you have presented against all European settlers I am sure the response would be far worse.
                Like the jumper – drop the social justice.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 10:37pm
                Fionn said | July 22nd 2017 @ 10:37pm | ! Report

Um, mate, I’m an Australian of European heritage and proud of this fact.

I do not have malice towards all European settlers. I’m sorry if you got that impression, but it really wasn’t my intention.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 11:18pm
                YeahRight said | July 22nd 2017 @ 11:18pm | ! Report

Fair enough. But did sound very critical. And like I said, if that level of criticism was aimed at any minority group the backlash would be unforgiving. No real problem with you having these views, but very concerned and fed up with those with double standards when it comes to judging who you are allowed to criticize and comment on according to race.

• July 23rd 2017 @ 11:43am
            Jibba Jabba said | July 23rd 2017 @ 11:43am | ! Report

The vocal minority of anti non indigenous are frightened of equality or don’t know what it really means, or haven’t actually ever closely experienced it or associated with those who have been the subject of and victims of it = so their views as espoused on here are formed from ignorance. ..

Which is why you get the like of Jo Bjelke Petersen in power or elect P Hansen or J Howard who sell lies to the ignorant who enthusiastically accept lies about children overboard or follow the US blindly into Iraq.= but that is democracy – though now of course it is manipulated democracy. A true and honest form of Democracy no longer exists.

The new jersey was probably initially formed as a marketing exercise – you will note there are new jerseys every year – obviously for marketing and money making purposes however the vitriol around having an Australian jersey reflecting 65,000 years of history is astonishing…and an indicator of the intellect of some of Chooks great unwashed !!

• October 22nd 2017 @ 10:20am
            Ken Catchpole's Other Leg said | October 22nd 2017 @ 10:20am | ! Report

P2R2, It is not ‘non-indigenous’ per se that are afraid of this appropriate cultural expression. It seems to be those non-indigenous who are also history deniers who are afraid to acknowledge our first culture.
            Some incredibly ignorant posts on this thread. And sadly, it looks to be an ignorance built on our racist history and its subsequent cultural amnesia.
            Well done Fionn.
            Even if we just looked at this as a cynical team building execise, similar to the ABs Pakeha bonding with their Polynesian teammates around the Maori haka, it would make sense.
            Even as an execise to garner support from the most talented per Capital minority in Australia, it makes sense.
            But this is about a lot more than just rugby.
            Thanks for taking this on Fionn. You are brave to take on the John Howards who are yet to take the road to Damascus.

• July 22nd 2017 @ 9:56am