Suns job not on Buckley, Scott radar

, , ,

With Gold Coast searching for a new senior AFL coach, Collingwood’s Nathan Buckley and North Melbourne counterpart Brad Scott have pledged commitment to their respective clubs.

Both have been touted as potential replacements for Rodney Eade. He left the Suns immediately on Tuesday after three seasons, having been told his contract would not be renewed.

Buckley’s future with the Pies remains unclear.

He is out of contract at the end of the season and must survive a wide-ranging review under way, which has led to speculation he could be tempted by the Gold Coast vacancy.

“I’m fully focused on this week against Port Adelaide and this is where I want to be,” Buckley told reporters on Thursday.

“That (review) decision will come to bear in good time. But I’m not looking over the fence at all.

“The club needs to stand alone and make a decision, based on what what it thinks is best for its future. Whatever the club needs and feels is the right way to go forward, it will have my 100 per cent support whether it’s for or against (me).”

Scott’s position is different in that he is contracted for next season.

But, having previously been linked to the Brisbane coaching job – ultimately filled by Chris Fagan – his name has been floated again.

Scott has steadfastly denied any potential link-up at any time with the Lions – the club he played for in two premierships.

On Thursday, he reiterated his commitment to the Kangaroos.

“I understand that there’s always speculation, but I’ve said repeatedly that I’m committed here,” Scott said.

“I’m focused on the rest of the season and trying to win every game we play.

“I can tell you that I haven’t been sounded out (by the Suns) and it’s not something that is going to concern me.”

© AAP 2018

This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

• August 11th 2017 @ 7:38am
      Gecko said | August 11th 2017 @ 7:38am | ! Report

I think Bucks has learned a lot about player management and would be a better coach second time round, whether at the Suns or elsewhere.

• August 11th 2017 @ 8:10am
      Pieman said | August 11th 2017 @ 8:10am | ! Report

I think Buckley should go anywhere but Collingwood…i dont think he will ever win a flag but mightve learnt enough about peoples makeup that he could do ok. If any team wants an ok coach .i think Mr Ed has ruined Buckleys chances of being a decent coach by keeping him at collingwood.

• August 11th 2017 @ 8:34am
        truetigerfan said | August 11th 2017 @ 8:34am | ! Report

Absolutely right, Pieman. Historically an appointment that was never going to work. But . . . I guess Ed knows best!

• August 11th 2017 @ 12:39pm
      Bravo said | August 11th 2017 @ 12:39pm | ! Report

Buckley needs to do a few years as an assistant coach at another club before he gets another gig as as a senior coach. I think this was something that was missed in his coaching development that has impacted on his ability to succeed as a senoir coach.

• August 11th 2017 @ 1:50pm
      Peter the Scribe said | August 11th 2017 @ 1:50pm | ! Report

Alistair Clarkson has clearly stated he is not interested in going anywhere so is not an option. Bucks will most likely get 2 years is the word on the street but if not Brad Scott would be the next best “available” candidate. Brad was highly respected in his time with the Pies back in 2009.

• August 11th 2017 @ 5:14pm
        truetigerfan said | August 11th 2017 @ 5:14pm | ! Report

Who said anything about Alistair Clarkson? Or Brad Scott for that matter? You seem fixated on those two as a matter of convenience. i.e. Those two aren’t available so we better stick with Bucks. Well, good on ya’. I hope they do, too. It’ll give all those Collingwood haters more of the same ammunition to incite unthinking supporters like yourself.

• August 11th 2017 @ 5:16pm
        Pieman said | August 11th 2017 @ 5:16pm | ! Report

If collingwood keeps buckley it will be in Mr Eds and Buckleys best interest not in Collingwoods best interests. I know Peter the scribe you are sold on Buckley but where did you think the pies would be this year on the ladder.? Honestly? I woulx imagine like many (not me) maybe in the 8?
        But they are nowhere near it and who needs the same misplaced belief next year for the same result. 5 years is enough. What a mess.

• August 11th 2017 @ 6:07pm
          Peter the Scribe said | August 11th 2017 @ 6:07pm | ! Report

Pieman I expected the Pies to sneak into the 8 and play one final….we are one or two close losses away from that… roundabout the mark I expected. I also expect us to be top 4 in 2018 and win the flag between 2018-2020. I think we are on track for that result.

• August 11th 2017 @ 7:18pm
            truetigerfan said | August 11th 2017 @ 7:18pm | ! Report

Wow! That’s hilarious, Peter the Scribe. One or two close losses away from the 8? Roundabout the mark. Have you viewed the ladder of late. Yeah, I know. You’ve already pencilled in 3 wins to finish off the year! Wishful thinking? Misguided logic? You expect the Pies to finish top 4 next year! Wow! Where is that much improvement coming from? On track for that result? Surely you’re not serious! Need I remind you of the downward trajectory of Collingwood’s recent history under Nathan. Head. Sand.

• August 11th 2017 @ 10:48pm
              Pieman said | August 11th 2017 @ 10:48pm | ! Report

I dont agree at all Peter the scribe…Collingwood are 4 games away not 1or2 . If North Melbourne won the games they lost by 10 points or less they would probably be in the finals. Silly reasoning mate what ifs dont count. Good coaches get there teams up to win the games needed …buckley has no leg to stand on …he dismantled a premiership team and made collingwood a second rate team. By the way why doesnt Mr Ed release the number of members this year? Because most pie supporters know how pointless it is to blow money on a useless boring Collingwood new playing style football. I wish Buckley really did care about the club , he would leave if he did znd bring Mr Ed with him to wreck some other club.
              Stuart Dew for me.