Maxwell keeps Ashes recall hopes alive with double ton

By AAP,

Tagged:
 ,

8 Have your say

    Glenn Maxwell hasn’t given up hope of playing in the Ashes after scoring his maiden first-class double century against NSW.

    After being dropped from Australia’s side for the first Test, Maxwell was told by chief selector Trevor Hohns to go back to the Sheffield Shield and score centuries to force his way into the side.

    And he did just that on Friday at North Sydney Oval, as he went to stumps on 213 not out with Victoria strongly placed at 3-365.

    Albeit without their Test bowlers, the Blues’ attack of Doug Bollinger, Trent Copeland, Stephen O’Keefe, Sean Abbott and Moises Henriques have represented Australia in some form of the game.

    But Maxwell was comfortable from the outset. He pulled Bollinger for four to get off the mark, repeated the dose to bring up his century and, late in the day, drove Copeland down the ground to bring up his 200 from 226 balls.

    All that, while Australia’s top order lost 4-69 to England at the Gabba.

    “I hope I play some part in it (the Ashes) at some stage,” Maxwell said.

    “But also that only comes if someone is out of ‘kick’ or gets injured, and I don’t wish that on anyone.

    “If something happens along the way where I get picked, hopefully I can replicate exactly what I’m doing at the moment – at the higher level.”

    Maxwell’s dominance against NSW was highlighted by the fact that when Travis Dean (36) was the second Bushranger dismissed at 2-162, Maxwell was already on 115.

    He combined in a 148-run stand with Aaron Finch (76), while Cameron White was unbeaten on 24 at stumps.

    But while Maxwell struck 30 boundaries, perhaps the most important stat will be that he batted for more than six hours – something he didn’t recall doing before.

    “Today was a giant step forward for me in this format,” Maxwell said.

    “My technique is starting to become a lot more repeatable which I think, going back a year, it wasn’t.

    “I was probably looser and didn’t switch on for as long … I feel like I’ve really tightened that up.”

    However there was still some of the Maxwell attacking flair he had become renowned for.

    Just a day after flying back from Brisbane from being a late Ashes reserve, he was especially dominant on the drive and pull.

    The 29-year-old twice hit Copeland back over his head for six, and launched one massive pull shot over the mid-wicket fence from Henriques.

    The knock followed on from his two half-centuries earlier this month against South Australia, which weren’t enough to earn him the national No.6 spot after he played in the most-recent tours of India and Bangladesh.

    © AAP 2018
    Getting hassled by a parent or partner about spending too much time playing video games? Now, you can tell them the story of how some ordinary gamers scored $225k for just seven weeks of work.

    Oldest | Newest | Most Recent

    The Crowd Says (8)

    • Roar Guru

      November 25th 2017 @ 10:44am
      Cadfael said | November 25th 2017 @ 10:44am | ! Report

      It was a ghood knock but take it in perspective. The bowling attack was all in Brisbane.

      • November 27th 2017 @ 11:58am
        Perry Bridge said | November 27th 2017 @ 11:58am | ! Report

        It says much about NSW – that with Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon on Australian duties, they could put forward Bollinger (12 tests, 39 ODIs, 9 T20s), Copeland (3 tests), Abbott (1 ODI and 3 T20s), Henriques (4,11,11) and O’Keefe (9,-,7)

        So – you can’t write off the attack.

    • November 25th 2017 @ 4:17pm
      paul said | November 25th 2017 @ 4:17pm | ! Report

      The same attack plus Lyons won the last Shield game for NSW before the First Test, so in fairness, it was a good effort. He’s doing what the selectors want him to do and, as the adage goes, he can only score against the bowling that’s dished up to him.

    • November 25th 2017 @ 6:44pm
      John Erichsen said | November 25th 2017 @ 6:44pm | ! Report

      Maxwell, with his test hundred in India and some of his innings this summer is showing more maturity and far more restraint. He might always have baggage from past brain fades, but he is currently ticking the boxes he needs too.

    • November 26th 2017 @ 8:36am
      Rtp said | November 26th 2017 @ 8:36am | ! Report

      The next match picks itself. Bancroft to keep and Maxwell replaces Paine.

      • November 26th 2017 @ 9:44am
        James GC said | November 26th 2017 @ 9:44am | ! Report

        Do you leave Bancroft to open or move Marsh up, I personally feel more comfortable with Marsh coming in at 5 or 6 rather than opening. I also think Handscombe needs to get some runs soon.

        • November 26th 2017 @ 9:51am
          jamesb said | November 26th 2017 @ 9:51am | ! Report

          1. D.Warner
          2. S.Marsh
          3. U.Khawaja
          4. S.Smith
          5. P. Handscomb
          6. G.Maxwell
          7. C.Bancroft (wk)
          8. M.Starc
          9. P. Cummins
          10. J.Hazlewood
          11. N.Lyon

          Much better balanced line up.

          • November 26th 2017 @ 12:12pm
            Basil said | November 26th 2017 @ 12:12pm | ! Report

            I like that line up but I won’t happen. To replace Paine, would be an admission of a poor selection by those in charge.

    Have Your Say



    If not logged in, please enter your name and email before submitting your comment. Please review our comments policy before posting on the Roar.

    Explore:
    ,