“I’m glad Gus talked me out of it”: Ciraldo reacts to Gould’s revelation he tried to quit Penrith

By Matt Encarnacion, Matt Encarnacion is a Roar Guru

, , ,

Penrith caretaker coach Cameron Ciraldo admits he considered walking away under sacked coach Anthony Griffin but is glad he was talked out of it by club boss Phil Gould.

Gould revealed Ciraldo, who has been a Panthers assistant coach for the past five years, twice attempted to resign due to a poor relationship with Griffin.

Speaking for the first time since taking over on Monday, Ciraldo confirmed Gould’s story.

“There were a number of reasons for myself and my development as a coach and what I wanted to do moving forward,” Ciraldo said on Friday.

“I thought at the time was the best thing to do. But I’m glad Gus talked me out of it.”

Ciraldo also hit out at claims from Griffin this week that the Panthers had struggled to develop juniors before his arrival in 2016.

Ciraldo had coached Penrith’s under-20s team to a premiership the year before.

“I was surprised (by those comments) because we’d won a number of titles in the lower grades up until the point that Hook got here,” Ciraldo said.

“There were some really good systems in place there, some people doing a lot of hard work before he’d got here and again, the people in these four walls know about that.

“A lot of the players that are playing first grade now were playing SG Ball in 2013-14, under-20s 2015, so I’m pretty confident we had good systems in place.”

Ciraldo also shied away from the prospect of being a candidate to become the fulltime coach.

The Panthers have been open about their desire to lure Ivan Cleary from the Wests Tigers, three years after sacking him.

“I haven’t had time to think about it,” said Ciraldo, who retired from playing in 2013.

“I feel like I finished playing not that long ago and gone from job to job. Whatever job title I’ve got, I just want what’s in the best interests of this club.”

Ciraldo confirmed prop James Tamou (leg) is out of Saturday’s clash against Gold Coast, who are coached by another former Panthers assistant in Garth Brennan.

Brennan is also believed to have asked for a demotion following his first year under Griffin, moving back to the NSW Cup and leading the Panthers to a premiership in 2017.

© AAP 2018
    Rebuild announcement

• August 10th 2018 @ 3:39pm
      Sportsbilly said | August 10th 2018 @ 3:39pm | ! Report

Lol
      And the reason there is no comments here after 6 hours of it being up are because everyone had condemned Gould to being a liar and Griffin to being this holy saint who was being mistreated….

Oops, maybe there was more to it….

August 10th 2018 @ 4:07pm
        Adam said | August 10th 2018 @ 4:07pm | ! Report

Undoubtedly there was more to it. My issue is the fact that Gould has all the leverage and still choses to use it against Griffin. He probably has spoken plenty of truths but that doesn’t really excuse his actions.

• August 10th 2018 @ 4:29pm
        Stu said | August 10th 2018 @ 4:29pm | ! Report

You could tell from Griffin’s interview that he talks alot of crap and has an extremely high opinion of himself. The fact he ripped into the previous Panthers coaching staff (although not directly) by stating when he arrived the place was a shambles – he clearly thought Ivan Clearly didnt know what he was doing and likely told Brennan and Ciraldo they have no clue too.

Panthers fans should be happy.

August 10th 2018 @ 4:56pm
        Renegade said | August 10th 2018 @ 4:56pm | ! Report

Really??

Do you expect Ciraldo to not follow suit with Gould’s story… when Gould just gave him a job.

It’s not hard to work out that Ciraldo was given the job because he’ll do what Gus says….

James Maloney on the other hand is a guy who says what he feels (he did that with the sharks and Flanagan last year when he openly asked for more money and said he’d go if he doesn’t get it)…. Maloney says there was no issue with the players and I’d take his word for it.

And that’s without going into the million contradicting stories Gus has wheeled out throughout this whole embarrassing episode…

• August 10th 2018 @ 5:19pm
          Stu said | August 10th 2018 @ 5:19pm | ! Report

What did you think on Griffin’s opinion that the panthers had a terrible roster with no clear pathways for youngsters and were destined to produce no first graders (despite the fact they already were)?

Maloney may not have had a problem with Griffin – he doesnt seem like the one to put the boot unnecessarily but there’s no doubt players do have an issue. If everything was fine he’d still be there.

• August 10th 2018 @ 5:22pm
          Sportsbilly said | August 10th 2018 @ 5:22pm | ! Report

Right, so now Ciraldo, with no record of ever being anything other than a good honest player and coach is a liar too?

Why can’t people accept that just because Gould comes across as an opinionated hit, doesn’t mean that Griffin is perfect. Both can be flawed. Unfortunately for Gould he could have his house destroyed, his bank accounts emptied by Nigerian Prince and dropped blindfolded in the middle of the Arctic circle in his speedos and it would all be his fault… because it is easy and popular to bash him since he is opinionated.

August 10th 2018 @ 6:13pm
            Renegade said | August 10th 2018 @ 6:13pm | ! Report

Oh please, what a ridiculous comment.
            You honestly think Ciraldo would risk future employment at Penrith by not supporting what Gus said…?

I don’t think anyone has said Griffin is a saint… the difference is his accepting his faults and the part he played in this. He also doesn’t have a history of advocating himself, but he felt he needed to speak up on this one.

Gus can’t go 2 mins without contradicting himself and has never accepted fault in the public domain or said he was wrong…. in any matter including during commentary.

It’s got nothing to do with popular opinion, as a professional he has failed and I’m employed in the same position for a much larger corporate organization, I would’ve been under pressure the moment I didn’t deliver on my 5 year plan…. would be let go for being as unprofessional as he has been through this saga – add the fact he is now wanting to employ an individual he said wasn’t the right person 3 years ago…. just incompetence at every level.

Are you just arguing against the popular opinion to be different… because you think it’s the cool thing to do?

August 11th 2018 @ 7:05am
              The Barry said | August 11th 2018 @ 7:05am | ! Report

“I’m not going to bag Griffin, but he doesn’t know what he’s on about, he’s a liar and no one likes him”

“But I’m not going to respond”

August 11th 2018 @ 7:13am
              The Barry said | August 11th 2018 @ 7:13am | ! Report

Gould: it doesn’t matter what you ask Erin in this hard hitting interview, I’m not going to be drawn into this and bag Griffin. Ask me anything. But I won’t bag Griffin.

Moylan: so what happened?

Gould: Griffin’s a doody head and he pooed his pants and he smells like poo. Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah….

• August 11th 2018 @ 11:46am
          Wayne Turner said | August 11th 2018 @ 11:46am | ! Report

Spot on Renegade. Gould hiring ex-players from Penrith,to be coaches in record time,because they are yes people to Gould,and easier to control.

August 10th 2018 @ 5:00pm
        Short Memory said | August 10th 2018 @ 5:00pm | ! Report

Or maybe some of us have day jobs.

• August 10th 2018 @ 6:44pm
      Phil said | August 10th 2018 @ 6:44pm | ! Report

This Penrith episode is turning into a soap opera. I’ve read Ciraldo’s comments and that’s enough for me. We all know the media collectively is akin to a pack of bloodthirsty hounds chasing the trophy and they will milk it for all they can. Penrith saga finished, next story.

• August 10th 2018 @ 11:39pm
        JimboJones said | August 10th 2018 @ 11:39pm | ! Report

Bring on the , Hayne Plane .

August 11th 2018 @ 7:02am
      The Barry said | August 11th 2018 @ 7:02am | ! Report

“I’m glad Gus talked me out of it”: Ciraldo reacts to Gould’s revelation, followed up by performances of “It’s not easy bein’ green” and “halfway down the stairs”

• August 11th 2018 @ 5:19pm
      Steve said | August 11th 2018 @ 5:19pm | ! Report

Young man you are only going to be the next puppet of Gould,you will be not allowed to coach your way so don’t get too excited .