It seems inevitable that one way or another the Minnesota Wild are losing a skilled player on the back end in the upcoming expansion draft.
The Wild have a few players with full no movement clauses, which doesn’t help protect the ones they want to keep.
They have many young forwards that will have to be protected and on better deals than their stacked defence core, so a 7-3-1 protection system seems in order.
For educational purposes:
• Teams must submit their protected lists to the league by July 17
• Each team must submit a protected list of seven forwards, three defencemen, and one goalie or eight skaters and one goalie
• Any player with a no movement clause must be protected unless the player waives it
• Each team must expose two forwards, one defenceman, and one goalie who are under contract and have played at least 40 games this past season or 70 combined games over the last two seasons
• Any player with a career-ending injury is exempt from selection
• All first- and second-year players, as well as unsigned draft picks, are exempt from selection
These defenders may be on the move.
There has been talk for some time now that Minnesota won’t be able to keep their solid core of defenders together. Dumba seems like the odd man out behind Ryan Suter, Jared Sprugeon, and Jonas Brodin.
With a fair contract and decent term, Dumba seems like a prime target to be moved. The team will be able to get the most back from moving him over other potential options.
With a player of Dumba’s calibre being under contract still, it would be a waste of assets to let him go for nothing. If a trade doesn’t happen on time, Seattle will have their sights set on selecting him to fill out their D-core.
Expect Dumba to be wearing a new uniform very soon.
Soucy is young and just reaching his potential, so letting him go for nothing won’t be an ideal outcome for the Wild.
Minnesota still needs to have the minimum number of players available as options for Seattle to select from, so they aren’t in the best position to keep every piece that helped them achieve some success this season.
Maybe a deal can be struck between the Wild and Kraken, but the team should be ready to have Soucy taken off their hands in the expansion draft.