Force reading too much into Genia backflip

By Laine Clark,

 , , , ,

8 Have your say

    Captain James Horwill has shrugged off Western Force’s suggestion a strategic pressure play led to Queensland Reds halfback Will Genia’s stunning backflip.

    Horwill said on Tuesday he thought Western Force CEO Vern Reid was reading too much into the Queensland Rugby Union’s announcement on Saturday that Genia was off to join the Force in 2013.

    A fuming Reid questioned Queensland’s motives in going public before a contract had been signed after Genia did an about-face, having previously agreed terms with the Force, and signed to stay with the Reds for another three years.

    “It was a really unusual thing to do, to release information like that when I’m sure they were aware that nothing had been signed – the net result appears that it may well have been a successful ploy,” Reid said.

    Asked if Read was reading too much into it, Horwill said: “I think so.”

    Horwill insisted it was loyalty and not any elaborate ploy that ensured Genia remained at the Reds.

    “We have worked really hard to create an environment here at the Reds to get guys to stay and be loyal to the team,” he said.

    Horwill said he’d spoken with Genia over the weekend but did not think he’d swayed the halfback’s decision.

    “I was supportive of him making a decision when he told me he was leaving (for WA),” said Horwill.

    “Then we had a long chat on Sunday when he informed me that he had made the decision to stay.

    “When I spoke to him, it was more about how he was going because a lot had come out on Saturday night (about his moving to the Force).

    “I wouldn’t say it was my doing (Genia staying). Will clearly wanted to be here.”

    Horwill did not believe there was any bad blood between the clubs, despite Genia almost becoming the latest in a long line of Reds’ players poached by the Force.

    “In professional sport, that is the way it is. It is just the reality of the environment we are in,” Horwill said.

    “Whether it is right or wrong, we have to deal with it and move on.”

    Horwill kept his fingers crossed that Genia’s re-signing would ensure off-contract stars such as Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper stayed in Queensland.

    The Force have reportedly now set their sights on Cooper after dramatically missing out on his Reds’ playmaking partner.

    “It is very encouraging that Will is staying – it shows the boys love being part of this organisation and the group,” Horwill said.

    “You would like it to have a knock-on effect.

    “But individuals make decisions for their own reasons and you can’t hold that against them.

    “(And) the Force won’t be the only ones who want him (Cooper) on their roster.

    Cooper told reporters on Tuesday that his main priority was recovering from a knee injury that ended his World Cup campaign last October.

    Meanwhile, the Reds received some welcome news on the injury front when scans indicated flanker Beau Robinson may only miss a week with an ankle complaint.

    © AAP 2018
    Do you find yourself logged out of The Roar?
    We have just switched over to a secure site (https). This means you will need to log-in afresh. If you need help with recovering your password, please get in contact.

    This video is trending right now! Submit your videos for the chance to win a share of $10,000!

    Oldest | Newest | Most Recent

    The Crowd Says (8)

    • Roar Pro

      May 2nd 2012 @ 1:38pm
      sittingbison said | May 2nd 2012 @ 1:38pm | ! Report

      unbelievable, this debacle has now become even more of a mummers farce. Read Brett Harris in the Australian


      • May 2nd 2012 @ 2:16pm
        Justin said | May 2nd 2012 @ 2:16pm | ! Report

        SB – as I have said on a few other threads its the CBA that needs to be sorted first before any of the players SHOULD sign contracts IMO.

        • Roar Pro

          May 2nd 2012 @ 2:31pm
          sittingbison said | May 2nd 2012 @ 2:31pm | ! Report

          yup, and its led to this. I cant see him staying in Australia now Justin, its off to France for sure.

          As I also said in all those other threads, there was no way he would take a $200k paycut, the Reds had to be kicking in more somehow, 3rd party or whatever. And then there was link disingenuously stating the money had nothing to do with it, he signed with the reds for the love of his team mates.


    • May 2nd 2012 @ 3:56pm
      Wilson said | May 2nd 2012 @ 3:56pm | ! Report

      Unimpressed with the issue this article dealt with but also with the journalist.

      “Asked if Read was reading too much into it, Horwill said: “I think so.””

      How else was Horwill going to reply to that leading question? The jounrnalist had a line they wanted and they lead Horwill down the path until they got their quote.

      The entire situation is a mess and should never have hit the media before it was a done deal. This mess was brought to you by the management at the Reds. Just like the early announcement of Graham was forced by the Reds I hear, as they decided they wanted to make the announcement earlier than discussed. Unprofessional conduct in a very small industry seems like an unusual style of business.

      • May 2nd 2012 @ 4:44pm
        formeropenside said | May 2nd 2012 @ 4:44pm | ! Report

        Yeah, but the Reds got what they wanted, and they owe the Western Force exactly nothing.

        • Roar Pro

          May 2nd 2012 @ 5:08pm
          sittingbison said | May 2nd 2012 @ 5:08pm | ! Report

          the Reds might have got exactly nothing as well fos.

          The article states the much trumpeted Reds contract is dependent on the salary cap increasing $700k, when in fact it looks like it will reduce $200k. This means the contract is void, the Reds cannot afford him, and he will be off to France displaying much quicker footwork than he has all season.

          Which also means that the nefarious Reds tactics will have been responsible for denying the Wallabies his services.

          And although they owe the Force nothing, they well might be out of pocket to the ARU, which is now investigating the conduct of the Reds. It appears they are in breach of the codes of practice, The Force in its infancy was fined $230k for exactly this breach when talking about Kanaar, reduced to $110k on appeal, so don’t be surprised if the Reds suffer a similar fate…in fact do be surprised as the ARU treats the Reds differently to the Force %) (flame on chaps hehe).

    • May 2nd 2012 @ 5:06pm
      Grimmace said | May 2nd 2012 @ 5:06pm | ! Report

      Happy for the Force to have Cooper.

      Comment left via The Roar’s iPhone app. Download The Roar’s iPhone App in the App Store here.

      • Roar Pro

        May 2nd 2012 @ 5:18pm
        sittingbison said | May 2nd 2012 @ 5:18pm | ! Report

        Yes…and no.

        Yes it will ignite their attack, and perhaps bring in some other players of repute.

        No they do not need his baggage, they have got rid of Mitchell, Gits and Judas and need to develop a team identity not revert to the star player mentality.

        It is more important to get a star coach who will improve the players they have already got (which can be achieved), identify talent, and develop locals.

    Have Your Say

    If not logged in, please enter your name and email before submitting your comment. Please review our comments policy before posting on the Roar.

    , , , ,