Reds flyer to hit another gear

By Jim Morton,

, , ,

He is Queensland’s best finisher and made an instant 2012 impact with the Wallabies but blazing winger Dom Shipperley expects to hit new heights by finding another gear of speed.

Shipperley turned heads by scoring an Australian-high eight tries in Super Rugby last season, although he did it in pain with osteitis pubis restricting his movement.

It’s hard to believe considering the youngster’s pace and form saw Wallabies coach Robbie Deans pick him for three Tests before wrist surgery stopped his run in October.

While he recovered from that operation, a visit to renowned groin specialist Dr Neil Halpin saw him booked in for surgery in December.

“Basically I was told my groin and my pelvis were so inflamed that it wouldn’t loosen by itself so I was getting abdominal pain all the way up to my belly-button,” Shipperley told AAP.

“I woke up the next day and my groin was loose for the first time in about a year and I don’t have any abdominal pain now.

“I have no inhibitions when I run whereas all of last year I did, so hopefully now I’ll be a bit quicker.”

Shipperley showed he’s back to his best with a strong display in the Reds’ 25-17 defeat of NSW last Saturday night, fending off Adam Ashley-Cooper and running over Israel Folau to score the opening try.

He’ll have to be just as effective against the Hurricanes on Friday night when he marks Jonah Lomu-like All Blacks winger Julian Savea at Suncorp Stadium.

While Shipperley impressed in his rookie Test season, it was nothing on 105kg powerhouse Savea who scored a hat-trick on debut against Ireland.

“I’ll have my hands full with him,” the 22-year-old said. “He’s a real go-to man and definitely one of the power players in their backline.”

The Hurricanes have received a major boost with influential skipper Conrad Smith cleared of concussion to line up as their wise head in the centres.

With the Wellington-based visitors topping the competition’s try-scoring list in 2012, Shipperley predicted a fast-flowing attacking match but urged patience for the Reds to make the most of their chances.

Queensland wasted a litany of try-scoring opportunities against the Waratahs when they too often pushed the pass in the clear or were too extravagant near the line.

“We have to be calm about it and do the basics well,” Shipperley said.

“Sometimes you can throw that 50-50 ball but sometimes it’s better to take the tackle and recycle the ball and regroup and go again.”

© AAP 2018

• February 28th 2013 @ 10:25am
      Gary Russell-Sharam said | February 28th 2013 @ 10:25am | ! Report

It would be something that Quade should think about, (throwing the last pass) he should be a bit more manly and actually take it to ground and re-cycle ball efficiently instead of chucking it to someone else to take the tackle.

Gee I cringed when watching the last match, that anyone could be that weak on a rugby pitch, it made me ashamed of being a Reds supporter.

Watching Quade when he got into traffic, throw the ball at someone’s feet just to get rid of it so he wouldn’t have to go to ground, what a cat.

Thank God the rest of the team isn’t so pussy foot about taking the ball to ground, MacKensie should take him aside and have a word in his ear to man up. But I live in dreams.

• February 28th 2013 @ 11:12am
        rl said | February 28th 2013 @ 11:12am | ! Report

Or, in my experience of sitting beside a few first grade coaches would suggest, you could take the view that you don’t want your backline general and best ball distributor trapped at the bottom of a ruck (making a tasty little snack for the opposition piggies). Each to their own.

• March 1st 2013 @ 12:59pm
        soapit said | March 1st 2013 @ 12:59pm | ! Report

hes got to execute properly and occasionally it wont be on but i think its better if you dont have your 5/8 at the bottom of a ruck in most cases.

• February 28th 2013 @ 12:17pm
      RedsNut said | February 28th 2013 @ 12:17pm | ! Report

Sorry Gary, it looks to me a bit like you are looking for things to criticise.

Aside form when he took out I.F. (along with someone else) QC made a couple of really good “round the ankles” tackles.

• February 28th 2013 @ 1:45pm
        PeterK said | February 28th 2013 @ 1:45pm | ! Report

Coopers tackling was far far better than the incumbent Wallaby Beale.

• February 28th 2013 @ 1:20pm
      formeropenside said | February 28th 2013 @ 1:20pm | ! Report

With tries against the Tahs in his last three matches, I dont know another gear is required.

• February 28th 2013 @ 1:47pm
        PeterK said | February 28th 2013 @ 1:47pm | ! Report

who cares.

Shipperly goes missing angainst top nz and sa sides. At intl level Ioane, Tomane, Speight, JoC, and Cummins are all better wingers for the Wallabies.

• February 28th 2013 @ 2:16pm
          Funk said | February 28th 2013 @ 2:16pm | ! Report

I must have missed them, how may internationals has Speight played now?

• February 28th 2013 @ 4:55pm
            Jutsie said | February 28th 2013 @ 4:55pm | ! Report

SA and NZ super sides buddy

• February 28th 2013 @ 5:25pm
              Funk said | February 28th 2013 @ 5:25pm | ! Report

They’re not internationals…that’s a provencial comp.

• February 28th 2013 @ 6:25pm
          anon said | February 28th 2013 @ 6:25pm | ! Report

haha Cummins no just no
          besides JoC will probably play 12
          you’re saying the number one winger in the world, Ioane is better? wow you must be sherlock holmes or something
          Tomane is similar quality, yet not as fast, probably both of them have a future in the team
          I must of mist something if Speight has even been capped
          assuming they’re not paraplegics by this stage than Drew Mitchel and Lachy Turner still deserve some mention
          Still Chris F-seti is arguably the best talent to come through Australia’s ranks in years, it won’t be long before he’s pushing for a Wallabies spot

• February 28th 2013 @ 4:48pm
      Gary Russell-Sharam said | February 28th 2013 @ 4:48pm | ! Report

Guys I’m not talking about Quade’s tackling ability.

How you guys got to talking about tackling escapes me. I was referring to his non ability to take the ball into contact and go to ground so that the ball can be recycled cleanly.

Rl had a perspective of it that I can possibly believe at a stretch. However I would much rather he showed some starch like a real man and instead of just throwing the ball away to anyone near him to prevent having to go to ground.

When playing a contact sport, contact is unavoidable, Quade has ha shown by his boxing ability that he can take some punishment, so why is he reticent to take the ball into contact and go to ground???

IMO he would rather someone else get thumped instead of him, rather selfish in my book and not resembling a team player attitude.

That’s what I’m talking about just to clear this up.

• February 28th 2013 @ 6:06pm
      Hightackle said | February 28th 2013 @ 6:06pm | ! Report

Shipperly played OK on his debut but in his next couple he was pretty rubbish and offered little.

• February 28th 2013 @ 6:27pm
        anon said | February 28th 2013 @ 6:27pm | ! Report

he offered a lot more than Cummins ever has
        Besides so long as someone’s keeping AAC out of the team I’m happy

• February 28th 2013 @ 10:29pm
      Malo said | February 28th 2013 @ 10:29pm | ! Report

Shipperley is a fine winger and will be up there but I like Kingston as well, we have no shortage of wingers just centres. Au voir to the three amigos. Bring in Mogg. Lets pick the wallabies on S12 form only not past glories, Genia being the exception to this rule as he is an essential.